Strong second half lifts Western women past Southern Maine 16-10

Strong second half lifts Western women past Southern Maine 16-10

GORHAM, ME - The Western Connecticut State University women's lacrosse team outscored the University of Southern Maine 10-2 over the final 27 minutes to overcome a two-goal deficit to post a 16-10 Little East Conference victory Saturday afternoon at Hannaford Field.

The win was the third straight for the Colonials and lifts them back to the .500 mark at 5-5 overall. The Colonials are undefeated through three games in conference play. The Huskies fall to 3-6 overall and 0-2 in LEC play.

Senior goalie Karli Portnoy (Sea Cliff, N.Y.) played a big part in the Colonials' victory stopping 17 shots. Junior Kelsey Heaton (New Milford, Conn.) led the offense with six points on four goals and two assists. Rookie Destinee Carey (New Milford, Conn.) and senior Hyla Costello (Southington, Conn.) each had three goals and an assist. Costello had a strong all-around game picking off seven draw controls and scooping up four ground balls.

Senior Shelby Turcotte (Lewiston, Maine) and sophomore Anh Nguyen (South Portland, Maine) paced the Huskies' offense with two goals. Rookie Lauren Lessard (Lewiston, Maine), senior Rosie Forster (Andover, Mass.) and sophomore Sarah Pelligrinelli (Southington, Conn.) all had a goal and an assist for the Huskies. Forster also collected a game-high eight draw controls. Senior goalie Kim Vogel (Sanford, Maine) made 13 saves.

After playing an even first half (6-6) where neither team led by more than two goals, the Huskies took an 8-6 advantage in the opening three minutes of the second half on goals by Turcotte and junior Laura Fay (Falmouth, Maine).

The Colonials scored twice in a span of 16 seconds shortly after Fay's marker to tie the game. Sophomore Chandler Camlin (Stamford, Conn.) converted a feed from Carey at 26:37 to pull Western within one, and Costello scored on a free-position attempt at 26:21 to tie the game at 8-8.

Five minutes later, Carey snapped the tie with a free-position goal that gave the Colonials the lead for good. Less than four minutes elapsed until Heaton scored on a free-position try to make it 10-8.

Forster scored off a pass from Pelligrinelli at 17:24 to get the Huskies back within one, but the Colonials responded with three straight goals to open a 13-9 margin. Heaton, Costello, and Heaton again, scored for the Colonials.

Pelligrinelli tallied the Huskies final marker at 11:41. Heaton, Costello and junior Dana Molloy (Brewster, N.Y.) scored in the final eight minutes as Western controlled possession to eat up time on the clock.

Southern Maine is back in action tomorrow afternoon (3:00 p.m.) hosting a rescheduled game against M.I.T. Western Connecticut begins a three-game home stand on Thursday (7:00 p.m.) hosting Westfield State University.