FARMINGDALE, N.Y.—Buffalo State controlled play for the majority of the contest and Melissa Smith (N. Tonawanda/Niagara Wheatfield) had a goal and an assist to lift the Bengals a 2-1 victory over Western Connecticut State in today's season-opener at the Farmingdale Rams Classic.
Western's Andrea DeVoe (Farmington, CT) notched the Colonials, now 1-1, lone goal on the afternoon.
The Colonials take on RPI on Sunday. Game time has been moved up to 12 noon to avoid any inclement weather brought on by tropical storm Hermine.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 2, Western Connecticut State - 1
LOCATION: Farmingdale, N.Y. (Farmingdale Rams Classic)
RECORDS: Buffalo State (1-0), Western Connecticut (1-1)
FOR THE COLONIALS
- Andrea DeVoe scored West Conn's goal with an assist by her sister Celia.
- Jillian Fernandez made four stops in goal for the Colonials.
FOR THE BENGALS
- Buffalo State maintained possession for much of the first half and held a 6-2 edge in shots, but could not break through in the opening 45 minutes.
- It was much of the same for a large portion of the second stanza until Victoria Colotti (New Windsor/Newburgh Free) finally broke through with an assist from Smith in the 70th minute.
- Smith added a critical insurance marker on a feed from freshman Kaylee Heschke(Appleton/Newfane) in the 81st minute.
- West Conn cut the deficit in half just 1:25 later, with 7:40 remaining, but the Bengals would hold on for the victory.
- Buffalo State finished with a 16-4 advantage in shots.
- Freshman Taylor Carillo (Pine Bush/Pine Bush) made two saves in her first collegiate start.